Windows Defender Security is provided to keep the user’s device safe from harm’s way. But certainly, several users are unable to benefit from its services on Windows 11 PC. So I will be guiding various workarounds to help individuals bypass the Windows 11 Defender Security Not Working issue. And because it’s a built-in service, they will not be required to access any third-party services to fix the error.
How Do I Fix Windows 11 Defender Security Not Working Error?
Individuals need to consider several possibilities whenever they encounter errors like Windows 11 Defender Security Not Opening or Not Working. Maybe their OS isn’t updated to the latest build or some malicious third-party utilities are causing it to respond unwell. Likewise, a simple reset of the facility can also be resourceful in reviving the Windows Defender facility.
1. Re-Enable Security Center Services
It would be best to re-enable the security center services because such a facility is available to make sure that Windows Defender is working properly. By any chance, if anything goes wrong with such a facility, you can start to face errors like Windows Defender not working or not opening issues.
- Press Win + R keys to launch the Run box.
- Execute the services.msc command.
- Locate the Security Center service and right-click on it.
- Select the Restart option from the context menu.
- Reboot your Windows 11 PC.
2. Remove Third-Party Antivirus
If you are interested in using Windows 11 Defender Security, it would be in your best interest to uninstall the third-party antivirus programs. Because some antivirus software is designed to mess with the built-in Windows OS security services. So what you need to do is navigate to Settings >> Apps >> Apps & Features and uninstall the installed Antivirus program.
3. Scan Windows 11
Allow me to introduce you to the SFC scan facility that’s available in Windows 11 by default. Such a facility scans for corruptions in the installed OS and recovers them, if possible. Users can benefit from such a facility by executing the right workaround using the command prompt.
- Type cmd inside the Windows 11 search bar and click on Run as administrator.
- Now execute the following command:
- sfc /scannow
- After the command is successfully executed, restart your PC.
4. Disable All Third-Party Services
Several third-party services can cause corruption in the built-in services of Windows 11. Gladly, users have the option of disabling all the third-party services from the system configuration tab.
- Launch the Run box by pressing Win + R keys simultaneously.
- Execute msconfig from the Run box.
- Navigate to the Services tab.
- Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box.
- Now click on the Disable All button.
- Click on the Ok button and reboot your computer.
5. Turn Off Anti-Spyware
Disabling the Anti-Spyware facility can also be helpful in situations when Windows 11 Defender Security isn’t working. But it can only be done with administrative privileges. Because you will have to make some customizations in the Windows 11 Registry.
- Hit the Win + R keys.
- Type Regedit inside the box and press Enter.
- Navigate to the following path:
- Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
- Right-click on the right pane and choose New >> DWORD (32-bit) value
- Name the newly created key “DisableAntiSpyware”
- Double-click on the value and change its value to “0”
- After changing the values, close the Windows registry editor and restart your computer.
6. Reset Windows Defender Security
After implying all of the above-mentioned workarounds, your only option is to reset Windows Defender Security. You can use the services of Windows PowerShell to complete this task, by running a singular command.
- Press Win + X keys to launch the context menu.
- Select Windows PowerShell (Admin) from the list.
- Execute the following command:
- Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage
- After successful execution of the command, reboot Windows 11 PC.
That’s all, thanks for visiting WebsiteforWeb to recognize ways to fix Windows 11 Defender Security Not Working issue.