Now that Microsoft has delivered a Windows 11 Stable Build, users have started to upgrade to it. But it seems like this OS version still isn’t free of lags. The developers are trying their best to deliver premium services, but still, users have to bear numerous issues. For instance, the Windows 11 Command Prompt Not Working issue. So in this article, my focus will be on delivering solutions to bypass this frustrating error.
How Do I Fix Windows 11 Command Prompt Not Working?
There can be several possibilities for the Command Prompt Not Working on Windows 11 issue. So users need to consider all the possibilities like faulty system files, missing environment variables, malware, etc. And by considering such possibilities, implement the following troubleshooting workarounds. However, you should reboot your system and check if that helps you in resolving this issue, before moving forward.
1. Update Windows OS
Updating the Windows Build can help you a lot in fixing any system-related issues. Because whenever Microsoft has encountered an error, they provide its fix in the shape of an update. And usually, users are notified about any pending update, but you should also check if there’s an update available or not.
- Launch Windows 11 Settings.
- Navigate to Windows Update.
- Click on “Check for Updates”
- If there’s a pending update, click on the Download button.
2. Delete SoundMixer
Some Crypto-mining bugs can intercept with Windows Registry and start to mess with the built-in services. Such bugs come in various shapes, one of which is the SoundMixer. So you need to ensure that this automatic key generator is removed from the registry files, so you are no longer annoyed by the Windows 11 Command Prompt Not Working issue.
- Squeeze Win + R keys simultaneously.
- Type Regedit inside the box and press Enter.
- From the menu bar in Registry Editor, click on Edit >> Find.
- Type “SoundMixer” inside the field and click on Find Next button.
- After getting the search results, open the SoundMixer folder and delete the autorun key from it.
- Now, restart your Windows 11 PC.
3. Solve System Corruptions
Various system files go missing or get corrupted because of unknown reasons. In such cases, Windows OS allows you to scan for system file corruptions and allow it to remove them instantly. The process of performing such a task only requires the execution of the singular command.
- Type cmd inside the search bar and select the “Run as administrator” option.
- Run the “sfc/scannow” command.
- Once the command is executed, reboot your computer.
4. Remove Malware
Certain kinds of malware can intercept your system files and can make your system unresponsive. In such a case, you need to ensure that Windows Defender Firewall is enabled and your system stays protected from the malware 24/7. In addition, you can also command the Windows Firewall to scan your PC for malicious applications and viruses.
- From the Settings window, navigate to Privacy & Security >> Windows Security.
- Under Protection areas, select the Virus & threat protection tab.
- On the next interface, simply click on the Quick Scan button.
- Now, wait until you are provided with scan results and recommended actions to secure your Windows PC.
5. Tweak Environment Variables
You may be unaware of the fact that Environment Variables plays a vital role in running Command Prompt in Windows 11. So whenever such variables go missing or their files are corrupted, the system is unable to provide the right amount of resources to launch the command prompt. But you can customize such variables, to keep benefiting from cmd.
- Press Win + R keys to launch the Run box.
- Type sysdm.cpl within the box and click on Ok.
- On System Properties, navigate to the Advanced tab and click on Environment Variables.
- Under System Variables, select the Path and click on Edit.
- Click on the New button and add the “C:\Windows\SysWow64” variable to the list.
- Hit the Ok button and restart your PC.
That’s all, thanks for visiting WebsiteforWeb to Fix Windows 11 Command Prompt Not Working.